top of page
Barry Sidings Market
Built with heart for the community


What time is the market open to the public? 10.00 - 15.00


When can I set up?

You can set up outside Barry Sidings Cafe at 8:30am. A Member of our team will guide you from the Gate. During the wet winter period, no driving is permitted on the grass. Please take extra care when driving into the park, by driving at 5mph with hazards on.


What is a pitch?

A pitch is a single square measuring at least 3m x 3m. We cannot guarantee you the larger pitch sizes but we will do our best. Some corner pitches have double frontage, but pitches generally have a single frontage. 


Do I need to bring a gazebo/table?

Gazebos are provided and included in the cost of a pitch. You will need to bring your own table and display equipment, and lights in the winter. The pitch coverings do not include sides/backs and you must supply these yourselves if you want them (you will find these invaluable when the weather is challenging). 

Traders should make their own provisions for these conditions.


Where will my pitch be?

We will do our best to ensure you have as appropriate a location as we can manage, but we cannot guarantee a particular pitch. 

We often have to change the layout at the last minute due to changing weather, cancellations, cars left onsite and other unpredicted occurrences so you must check with the market manager as you arrive onsite, where they will give you a pitch number. We always try to accommodate all traders wishes but this may not always be possible.

The decision on pitch position is down to the market manager or steward and is final. 

We do our best to accommodate everyone, but our decision on your pitch location is final.


How much is a pitch?

The fee for Market traders:

£40 pitch and gazebo 

*Unfortunately, bringing your own gazebo is not an option we are able to offer


Is power supplied?

The provision of power cost is additional to the pitch fee and must be agreed with us in advance. There is only limited power available and this will be allocated to stalls with essential requirements (such as a fridge). It is very important that we know what appliances you are using and how much power they consume (check the labels and stickers). It may be that we can’t accommodate your appliance.


How do I pay?

Payments should be made by Bacs at the time of securing your space and no later than 2 weeks prior to the date of the market. 


What happens if I need to cancel?

If you cancel with 7 days or more notice, a full refund will be issued. If less than 7 days notice is given, there will be no refund.


What happens if the market is cancelled due to bad weather?

If the market has started trading and has to be closed due to circumstances beyond our control, we will be unable to refund any fees. If the market is cancelled before it has been set up, your payment will be transferred to another market date and if that is not possible then we will refund you. If the market is cancelled at the last minute we will endeavor to do our best to contact you (please make sure we have your current contact details).


Can I share a pitch with another stallholder?

Yes you can, although this must be agreed in advance. The cost is £30 per trader (this covers administration costs per trader). You must each complete a separate registration form and how you allocate space between yourselves within that pitch is up to you to agree between yourselves. 


How do I register for a pitch?

All stallholders must use the online registration form. This helps us to keep administrative costs down. If this is a problem, please let us know and we will arrange to send you a hard copy. 


How do I know if I have been allocated a pitch?

Registering does not guarantee you a pitch. The markets have a long waiting list and demand for stalls can often outweigh the number of available pitches. If your request is successful, we will contact you by email informing you that you have a pitch and request payment. 


Please note that we often get last minute cancellations and we may contact you to offer you a stall, with little notice. We won’t be offended if you say no and saying no to a short notice pitch does not mean that we won’t ask you again in future.


How will you contact me?

Generally we contact via email.

We will use the contact details you provided us with when you registered. Please make sure you check your email/mobile etc. for any messages we may have left and please make sure to let us know via email if your contact details change. It is your responsibility to advise us of any changes.

Please check your email junk folders. 


How do you decide on who gets a pitch?

We try to be as transparent and as fair as possible.  We aim to ensure a mix of stalls and activities (it is not operated on a first come first served basis) and all produce should be locally sourced/artisan (hand picked/made) in nature. Do keep in touch with us and send us product photos and news of your business etc.

What do you mean by artisan produce?

The Market wants quality ‘home made’ produce rather than ‘brand names’ – if you make it then you’re the type of person we mean. We generally don’t provide pitches to resellers of branded items.


What do you mean by local produce?

When we say 'local produce' we mean produce that originates from within the South Wales or surrounding area. 


Am I allowed to bring a generator?

No, generators are not permitted.


Directions and can I bring my vehicle?

Whilst within the grounds of Barry Sidings, vehicle speeds must be kept to 5mph or lower, with hazard lights on whilst driving through the park. Please note that members of the public may still be moving around in the park, as will other traders and market volunteers whilst you are loading and entering/leaving in your vehicle so please drive responsibly with extra care and attention. Through the Winter Markets we have a limited amount of Vehicles allowed in the park  therefore we ask you drop off your stall items and promptly return your Vehicle to to the car parking area until the market close time.

Where can I park?

We have a spacious car park at the entrance to Barry Sidings, where you will be able to park your vehicle.


Do I need insurance?

You are responsible for your own insurance. You will need to ensure you have £1m public liability (for any one incident) in place. If you are trading in food or drink your cover will need to be £5m (for any one incident).  You will also need employee liability insurance cover. 


You are required to provide us (via email to with your insurer's name and your policy number and to email us a copy of your insurance for our files. Please note that it is your responsibility to make sure that your details are up to date, and updated at every policy renewal.


Please note that by registering for a pitch you agree to indemnify Barry Sidings Cafe against all actions, proceedings, costs, charges, claims, expenses and demands arising from any failure on your part to obtain the relevant licenses, insurance and consents.


The above should be kept with you and be made available for inspection. See our Terms & Conditions for further details.


Who is responsible for health & safety?

You are responsible for your own health & safety and that of your staff and customers. We advise you to have a risk assessment in place. Keep any cooking appliances away from pitch coverings or any other flammable materials. All of your equipment needs to be made fit for purpose. Barry Sidings Cafe has responsibility for general health and safety on site.


What if I am selling food?

If you are selling food, we recommend you speak to the local authority’s Trading Standards Division.


All food preparation premises have to be registered with the Environmental Health Office. This needs to be done at least 28 days prior to trading. You are also required to have a documented food hygiene management system in place (your local authority will advise on all of this).


Do I need a Food Hygiene Certificate if I am selling food or drink?

See above. Yes you do, and this needs to be prominently displayed at each market – this is your responsibility. 


What is not covered by the market trading license?

If you are selling alcohol or providing regulated entertainment, you do need a license and in such cases you would have to agree this with us in advance and provide us with evidence of your licenses. You will be asked to evidence that your business has someone with a personal licence and you will need to agree to our seperate Alcohol vendors T&C's. Contact us if you need help with this.


Are there any toilet facilities on-site?

Yes, there are toilet facilities within Barry Sidings Cafe. These are available from 8.30am.


This venue may not be used for the washing of goods/utensils.


What do I do with any rubbish/waste?

Stallholders are responsible for clearing their own waste and rubbish (and disposing of it in a responsible manner). You may not use the standard refuse bins at Barry Sidings Cafe, nor the wheelie bins on-site. You must not pour fats or any other contaminated water down drains. 


Can I play music?

In most cases no. If it is essential for you to play recorded music, and you have the appropriate licenses to do so, then you should discuss it with us and we may make an exception if you can provide us with copies of the relevant permissions, but we are likely to refuse.


How do I contact you?

We prefer to be emailed at we are a small team so it may take a couple of days to get back to you. Please add our email address to your contacts so our emails to you don't go into spam. 


We also have a high volume of activity on our social media accounts and limited staff resources. Whilst we try our best with these, we may not see (and therefore not respond to) messages sent via Facebook, so it is always best to email to check we’ve had a message.


Thank you for taking the time to read these FAQs. Please let us know if you have any additional queries and we will try to be of assistance.

bottom of page